Officially Technological

Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Raise Your Hand If You Like Thanksgiving

I wish Thanksgiving decorations were as fun (by "fun" I mean sparkly) as Christmas decorations. And I wish Thanksgiving had more (or any) cool music like Christmas does, because I love Thanksgiving. I love the turkey, I love the stuffing, I love the pumpkin pie, I love the apple pie, I love, love, love Thanksgiving. I love how you can get together with your family and get a day off of work to do so.

This year Brian's birthday is on Thanksgiving (the last time Brian's birthday was on Thanksgiving was the year we were at Michigan State together). Which I love. I wish my birthday would be on Thanksgiving, but it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot you want to give thanks for in the middle of January. Mostly, in January you just want to get from your car to your door as quickly as humanly possible (without, of course, slipping on the ice and breaking your tail bone).

When I worked at HoneyBaked Ham, we thought of Thanksgiving as a warm-up for Christmas. Since Christmas at HBH, lasted about 20 days, we had to start getting ready for it before Thanksgiving. Once we were all set up for Christmas, Thanksgiving would strike, and we would see all the flaws in our systems, and have a week or so to correct them before we started in on Christmas. The week before Thanksgiving week was always busy setting up, putting things away, ordering extra stuff, etc. etc. One year it took all day and two employees to rearrange the walk-in freezer to accommodate all the Thanksgiving and Christmas frozen side dishes. After a few years of this continuous activity between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I came to think of Thanksgiving as Pre-Christmas too.

I don't really have much of a point to this story except to say that now that I don't work in a seasonal business (in which most of the business is done between my two favorite holidays), I am excited for Thanksgiving. Brian and my 2 year anniversary of our engagement is the day after Thanksgiving, Brian's birthday, super awesome holiday, turkey... Really, it's all very wonderful. So, cheer if you love Thanksgiving.
posted by Julie at 1:47 PM

7 Comments:

Woooo! Yay!!! Hip, Hip, Huzzah! Woo-hoo! Yippee!!!!
I love Thanksgiving.

16/10/07 20:42  

you have totally gotten me in the mood for the holiday season. :) bless your little heart.
~shar

17/10/07 12:39  

Thanksgiving. I love it, although I have to tell you a painful secret...at both the Long and Erismann family gatherings, I am still forced to endure the 'children's table'. Granted, the other children usually include my brother and his gf, but still!

Not to mention that at the Erismann gathering, there are 3 real life children under the age of 2 who get to sit with the adults, while I am cast off...somewhere in Turkey-limbo-land, halfway between the dining room and living room, where the food only comes around after the toddlers have played in it, hitting my knees on a broke-down card table!

That being said...I still love it!

17/10/07 18:55  

I especially like Thanksgiving this year because we are meeting my sister and fam, plus my parents and brothers in the Wisconsin Dells. We meet Christi there at spring break and loved it a ton. We can't wait to go back. Plus, I'm so excited to see her and the kiddos without driving 10+ hours to MN! I know it's supposed to be all about the turkey, but, "Waterslides, here we come!"

18/10/07 21:22  

I love Thanksgiving... but you mocked my favorite month. January has a lot of good things. My birthday,YOUR birthday, Winter Fest @ Frankenmuth, SNOW ;), etc... Do I need to say more?

P.S.- Maybe next time I come over we can make pumkin pie, instead of something with apples???

21/10/07 21:24  

oooooh! Pumpkin pie......

22/10/07 11:59  

We have a candle burning in our office that smells like pumpkin pie.

But the only thing in here to eat is chocolate cake.


(I know you needed to know that)

22/10/07 16:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home