Wednesday, May 18, 2005
Anyway, I forced my roommate to watch "The Sound of Music" with me, because she's never seen it before, and I thought that everyone should see it, even if they hate it (like me). So, while we were watching the movie, I was (probably for the first time) paying attention to the actual words of the songs, and I realized that none of Julie Andrew's favorite things are my favorite things. For an example, I don't know if I've ever seen a girl with a white dress and blue satin sash. I don't have any particular adoration to "bright copper kettles," nor do I have a distinct enjoyment of "Cream colored ponies."
So here are some of my "Favorite Things".
- The word "epiphany"
- Berkey Hall (at Michigan State)
- Corn Pops
- Unexpected presents (My friend Beth and I have this thing where we never give each other birthday gifts on our birthdays. Partly because we're both procrastinators, and partly because we like getting a random birthday gift six months after the actual date.)
- The book "Persuasion" by Jane Austen
- My purple wool comforter that my mom made me when I was in high school
- My parents' Steinway Piano
- Tawas, Michigan
- George Gershwin
- The song "Be Still My Soul"
- The Fourth of July (I'm not even going to start with how I feel about Christmas. That would fill its own blog.)
That's enough for now. What are some of your favorite things?