Officially Technological

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Adages and Proverbs

Don't you love moms/dads and grandmas/grandpas who have crazy sayings? You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones where people start them out by saying, "My mother used to say..." I am just full of these sayings, because my mother used to say a lot of maxims, and from what I gather, she's cropped the list quite a bit from what her mother used to say. The sad thing is that I can still hear my mother saying these things every time I participate in the behavior that necessitated the proverb in the first place.

I was thinking of this last night as I was lugging a suitcase filled with class materials (from the class I took in Phoenix) weighing 41.9 lbs, and a duffel bag filled with every summer-like article of clothing I own up the flight of stairs at my apartment. Ringing in my ears was my mother saying, "My mother used to say, a lazy horse carries himself to death." (Which, judging by the way I feel like this morning, is probably true.)

So, I thought, maybe we could all share our adages and our my-mother-used-to-says. It's like therapy. Maybe we can get them out of our system.

So here's some of mine (you'll notice they cover just about every aspect of life):

On grief:
Time heals all... (What's that suppose to mean? :) )

On Bed-Times:
Early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy wealthy and wise. (How 'bout 'Early to bed, longer to sleep?)

On Friendships:
If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all. (I thought this pretty useful in middle school, but I just wound up being "the shy" one. lol.)

To have friends you, you have to be a friend.

On Time-Management:
Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. (She isn't much of a procrastinator, my mom.)

On possessions:
Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without. (My grandma used to use this one, and I think it's particularly applicable to my car.)

On Weather:
Red in the morning, sailors take warning,
Red at night, sailor's delight. (I still say this to myself every time I see a red sunset.)

And my personal favorite:
There so much good in the worst of us,
And so much bad in the best of us,
It hardly behooves any of us,
To talk about the rest of us. (Isn't that cute??)
posted by Julie at 12:33 PM

2 Comments:

On people (generally negative connotation): Birds of a feather flock together.

On posessions of yours someone wants: To give is better than to recieve

Random from parents:
You know, *insert name* sometimes we do things we don't necessarily want to do.

I'm doing this only because I love you.

Am I going to have to come over there and make you??

Ok...so most of those don't fall into the category of proverbs and adages, they are just things I remember from my parents, which I'm assuming they got from their parents, which I'm assuming they got from their parents...

12/5/05 11:59  

Aaron:
Have I ever told you about how everyone I know named Ben has two first names?

Brooke:
So what you're saying is, it's NOT as much fun to give as it is to recieve?? :)

13/5/05 11:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home