Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Things I'd Be Very Successful At
After a two and a half conversation with my friend, Beth, yesterday, I realized that there's a lot of things that I could do well, another group of things that I'd enjoy, but the two rarely coincide (we were actually talking about this in a different context but it applies to career too). Therein, I believe, lies success. Success isn't just being good at something, it's having that something be good for you in return.
So, I've compiled a list of things that I'm really good at, and that I really enjoy as well. You may understand after reading this, why I'm not exactly 100% pumped about my job*.
- Dreaming (if there was a market for day-dreaming, I would make a killing)
- Talking to friends on my cell phone (I don't like telemarketing - or any business over the phone - just straight-up chit chat)
- Cooking (yes, you read that correctly, I have recently taken up cooking and I think I could keep about seven families in good eatin' if I had the time)
- Beautifying (I cut my roommate's hair, sometimes style it, sometimes do her make-up, etc. I love it.)
- Music (especially when I played in band. I like the sound of piano music more than band music but band was a scream.)
And then people wonder why I'm bored at work.... It doesn't have any of those things. :)
*I'm actually about 75% pumped about my job. Yup, just average. Just a "C". I like it OK, it pays the bills, can be somewhat entertaining. It's not a complete bust.