Officially Technological

Thursday, February 16, 2006

How To Get Eight(ish) Hours Of Sleep

Brian calls when he gets off work, and at the risk of sounding completely sappy, that is easily my favorite time of day. He "gets off" work at 9:00, but it's usually more like 11:00ish (with an emphasis on the "ish"). Needless to say, this is the middle of my night. Since we're both night-people, we are usually more fun in the evening, so, when he calls he's usually bright and chipper, and has funny things to say. Nothing I want to miss, for sure. I'm a night person by nature too, so when he calls, I'm usually also bright and ready to joke around. Unfortunately, two bright, chipper, joking people talking at their favorite time of day, usually results in long phone conversations and if you add an hour or two to the 11:00ish, you can see that my getting up at 6:00 doesn't leave me with much sleep.

So, for better or worse, I have derived ways of getting eight hours of sleep per day. Here is the evolution of my sleeping patterns over the past three months since Brian and I have been engaged.


4 The first thing I tried was to stay up until he called, and after a week or two I would get a little sickish and call off of work for a day and do nothing but sleep. Then I would feel better and do it all over again.

4 That only worked until I started burning pretty fast through my sick time. So, I was determined to find a different way. So, I started to only talk to him for 30ish minutes, instead of three hours.

4 That last for about a week and a half. Believe it or not 30 minutes a day isn't long enough to maintain a relationship. Our weekends started to become confusing and hectic because we hadn't talked about what we wanted to do, so I realized that I would have to go back to the two hour approach, but how?? One night, I was so tired I fell asleep watching TV, and being somewhat uncomfortable-ish with a dog laying across my legs (not to mention hogging the blanket), I got up and went to bed (even though it was only 8:00). That was the beginning of a new pattern of going to bed super early and just letting Brian wake me up when he calls.

So, now I've been getting 8 or so hours of sleep a night, but if you call at 8:00 and I sound a little groggy, don't be surprised or feel guilty. Yes, I was probably asleep, but no biggie, I can deal. You might actually find me to be an easier more relaxed person to talk to.

MORAL: The "ish" will kill ya every time.

posted by Julie at 8:41 AM

2 Comments:

Daily Routine:

6:00 a.m. - wake up at the crack of dawn in order to talk to your fiance who lives in a different time zone before he goes to work

8:00 a.m. - sign into MSN messenger to talk to your fiance who is also a computer junkie

12:00 p.m. - recieve call from fiance who takes lunch breaks at 1:00 instead of noon so you can talk on your lunch breaks

5:00 p.m. - call fiance when leaving work to let him know you have safely left the office...er...something

5:30 p.m. - take short nap in order to catch up on missed sleep from previous night on the phone

8:00 p.m. - fiance calls to do devotions because if they happen later, the chance of both parties falling asleep on the phone rises dramatically

11:00 p.m. - discuss each others state of sleepiness in order to determine when phone time will end

1:30 a.m. - wake up with the phone stuck to ear and freak out because you fell asleep on the phone

1:32 a.m. - sigh of relief (after saying his name multiple times) when you remember that you both hung up around 12:30 a.m.

17/2/06 14:44  

LOL! Wow. I hear ya. We have crazy schedules for sleeping and eating and all that "necessary" stuff. It's amazing we aren't both in the hospital.

17/2/06 15:42  

Post a Comment

<< Home