Officially Technological

Friday, July 13, 2007

Wally World '07

For those of you who don't know: to my family, who are mostly Michigan die-hard Meijer fans, "Wally World" is not a reference to Walmart, it refers to the family reunion we have every fourth and fifth of July. The name "Wally World" is an pet name for the reunion, named affectionately after my uncle, Wally, who is kind enough to host it every year.

TIP:
Sixty people can not consume an entire vat of potato salad (made with an entire jar of mayo, a dozen eggs, and 10 pounds of potatoes – and random other things).

RECIPE FOR "CRABBY" MOOD:
1 cracked muffler
1 crowded beach
1 family not where we thought they’d be
1 set of un-followable directions from a gas station attendant
2 out-of-area cell phones

LOST AND FOUND:
I found several items (including my hat and my bowl) on the “lost and found” table this year. However, my Aunt Helen could not have possibly lost her camera since she had written her name on it (which I found amusing because it was a $7 disposable camera).

OBSERVATION:
Cheering during my uncle’s fireworks display is both certain and constant. However, two events seem to more produce more fervent praise. These occasions are (in no particular order): any time a new kind of firework is introduced, and any time a “dud” firework sparks on the grass (apparently we have a few pyros in the group).

GUARANTEED KID ENTERTAINMENT:
Frogs from the pond
GUARANTEED ADULT SHOW STOPPER:
Snakes from the pond (though no less entertaining to the children)

ON SLIDE SHOWS:
You know that photography has swelled to enormous proportions when in the evening after being with each other for less than eight full hours there is a 300+ picture slide-show of the events of the day.

MOST COMICAL MOMENT:
When applause exploded for the waitress who declared to the 50 or so of us at breakfast on the 5th that she thinks she’s got everyone’s order. After the cheering had died my cousin, Jake, shouted, “We’re Waibel’s, we cheer about everything!”
posted by Julie at 12:15 PM

4 Comments:

*grin* I can totally hear Jake saying that.

How was Meika's first Wally-World experience?

13/7/07 15:19  

Aww... sounds lie youall had a blast. I think I had the distinction of being the only absent Herb-and-Sis grandchild :(
(including grand-child-in-laws)

15/7/07 18:21  

Now, I know what to look forward to at my family reunion in two weeks. :)

17/7/07 09:57  

My husband has so dearly nicknamed the number of photos taken at a family gathering including my Aunt Sally as "pictograph" taking. She can take 300 photos in a 2 hour sitting at my grandparents' house! :) Family reunions...you've always had quite the experience with your family!

18/7/07 07:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home