Officially Technological

Monday, April 17, 2006

My Last Name

Call me old-fasioned, but it has never occured to me to keep any part of my last name after I get married. Not that there's anything wrong about keeping your last name (it's more of a cultural thing than anything else), but regardless I will not be keeping my last name. I have no reason to, really. Some people keep their last name for culture's sake (Hispanic cultures, for an example hyphinate their names). For some they keep their last names because for business (Meg Ryan probably will never change her last name), but when you're a German-ish person who's entire vocation is done in 12 hours a week... well, you see what I mean. So, I am changing my last name.

So, as I'm preparing for the post-wedding name changing, I keep a list of all the places I'm going to have eventually change my name, because eventually people are going to stop thinking of me as Julie W- and start thinking of me as Julie K-. So, here is a list of all the places I am going to need to change my name. It's not exhaustive, and if you have any more ideas, feel free to let me know.

I know I'm missing some, but I don't have my list with me. So, that's all for now. But just remember ladies (and gentlemen who are disgruntled with their names), it's not for the faint of heart.

posted by Julie at 5:22 PM

4 Comments:

hey jules,

i thought of you the other day when i was at work. i had to get a new pen out of my bag and pulled out a handy dandy NAPA pen (the pens of evilness & zappers)... please tell me you remember what i'm talking about. LOL

i agree on the whole name change when you get married. that's what i'll do... when/if the time comes.

when is the big day anyway?

CONGRATULATIONS!

take care! - jennifer

18/4/06 00:10  

That's a pretty good list. But I have bad news for you: you'll never remember it all. I'm still finding stuff I've forgotten to change and it's been 4 months. I have a REALLY exhaustive list of places to change your name in a wedding planning book at my house. I'll try to remember to bring it to our spa day, if you want. And by the way, I MISS YOU!!! And another by the way, only 6 more days of hell - I mean work - left. Woo-hoo!

18/4/06 07:46  

that list is pretty much why i haven't changed mine yet... not culture, not business, not feminism, just plain old procrastination. That's me.

18/4/06 12:50  

Hey--if you get that nice exhaustive list from Cameron, send it my way, pal.

This is starting to feel slightly intimidating. :-)

26/4/06 21:40  

Post a Comment

<< Home