Officially Technological

Friday, March 03, 2006

Reasons Why Yesterday's Interview Was The Weirdest Experience Of My Entire Life

I think I may be able to have a sense of humor about it now. Last night I was super annoyed about my interview. Even this morning I was annoyed, but I suppose there's nothing I can do about it except chalk it up as another weird incident. I collect weird incidents. Some people collect stamps. Some collect baseball cards. Some collect books. Me? I collect weird incidents. It's too bad I can't pawn them. I might be tempted to in a month or two.

Back to the story. Here are some reasons why my interview was weird.
  1. I sat outside the door of the HR department for no shorter than a half an hour waiting for my interviewers/tormentors to get there.
  2. Once they got there, they sat in the next room with the door closed and the shades drawn but talking about me and my qualifications (or probably my lack of qualifications) loud enough for me to hear bits and pieces.
  3. Once they called me into their office, they proceeded to ask me weird questions like: How did you get ready for this interview? I don't think that question is too weird. I think it was the wording, because I wanted to say (but didn't) "I showered and put on make-up and clothes, and drove down from Michigan."
  4. Some of the questions were little role-playing exercises like: I'm a disgruntled employee and my dog just ran away and I had to chase him down the street and now I'm just in a bad mood. Motivate me. Hmmmmm...... Weird....... "Um.... I don't care. Get to work!" I doubt that would have been an appropriate (though probably a realistic) response.
  5. They asked me to tell them something about myself, to which I wanted to say, "you have my resume right there, but besides that I enjoy bubble baths, long walks on the beach, and am currently working for world peace."

OK. It may not seem that weird to you, but trust me, it was really weird. Maybe it was that they were trying to come off as fun and friendly and wound up just coming off as antagonistic. I think it was after the second or third exchange with them where they pretended to be people other than themselves, I was thinking to myself, 'this is so weird.'

So, if you want to know how I feel about how it went; it went strangely. I kinda walked away feeling like a babbling idiot because so many of the "questions" were so similar in nature that I felt I kept saying the same thing over and over. And wound up just feeling cheesy. Grr. So, needless to say, I don't think I got the job - but you never know. So, I kinda feel like I'm back to square one.

posted by Julie at 3:50 PM

1 Comments:

weird interviews.
yeah.

but like you said, you don't really know how it went until they 'get back to you' in the '2 to 3 weeks' they told you it'd take.

3/3/06 18:33  

Post a Comment

<< Home