Officially Technological

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Reflections

Tomorrow is March 8th. That means nothing to most of you. Let me explain. It was a year ago tomorrow that I (sicker than a dog) flew down to Kansas to spend a month at Ft. Riley. I wasn't there long enough to say that I lived there, but I was there long enough to meet some neat people, make some great friends, and have some good times.

I pretty much always remember significant dates in my life because on significant dates, I like to take note of what I was doing then and where I was in my life so that I can remember and reflect on the things that have gone on in my life since that date. The year from March 8, 2005 to March 7, 2006 was probably one of the busiest, most stressful, most fun, most interesting years of my life and could probably only be rivaled with my Senior year of High School.

In Disney's "The Kid" Bruce Willis's character is faced with the childhood version of himself and he is embarrassed of the reminder of what he was like as a child. However, sometime near the end of the movie he realizes that as a child he just wanted affirmation and received none. And that he was scared and received no comfort. So, he wants to be able to tell the childhood version of himself something that would comfort him (because the kid was really distressed with his adult form - he had "no wife, no kids, and no dog!"). So, he dug up a friend (played by Jean Smart), and asked her what he should say to the kid, and she said, "If I had little Deirdre sitting right here I would say, 'Baby, hang on, it's going to be great.' Because some things happened that I wouldn't have liked, but it's been great."

So, with this past year behind me, with all the challenges with my career, with all the joys of getting engaged to Brian, with all the grief, with all the vacations, with all the hot weather this summer, and all the cold this winter, it's been great. So, as a reminder to myself, and maybe to you too, if you face yet another busy year, "Baby, just hang on. It's going to be great."
posted by Julie at 12:32 PM

4 Comments:

Thanks. And likewise. :)

7/3/06 15:00  

Shu'p! That's enough out of you. :)

8/3/06 15:43  

Hey, not related at all to your post but reading this article reminded me of you:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200303/rauch

8/3/06 20:59  

Dan: LOL! Love it!

Josh: What are you talking about? I read your blog every day.

9/3/06 10:54  

Post a Comment

<< Home