Officially Technological

Saturday, November 08, 2008

"Marley and Me"

So Brian and I saw a preview for a movie called "Marley and Me" and it's about a couple who get a puppy and the puppy is totally crazy. Well, I think someone came and stole our puppy from our house while we were on vacation, because the dog in that movie looks EXACTLY like Maggie. And the dog in the movie ACTS exactly like Maggie. If it's not Maggie, it's her clone. Anyway, I have a sneaking suspicion that the dog in the movie dies, and I'm not big on dog-dying stories, but I think I'm going to have to watch it anyway.

One of the most embarrassing/traumatic experiences of my entire life was when we read "Where the Red Fern Grows" in school. It was the sixth grade. I've always been a little hyper-sensitive to the suffering of dogs (people too), so I knew that this had the potential of being a very humiliating afternoon at school where I could potentially burst into tears every time I thought about the book (I have enough tears to pull it off, anyway). So my mom had this idea that maybe I could de-sensitive myself to it by reading it at home first. That way when I got to school, I would already knew what happened and it wouldn't be so traumatic. In theory it was a brilliant idea. And it seemed to be working. I read the part where the dogs died at home several times, burst into tears every time, and eventually I started thinking that it would be possible to make it through that passage without making a total dork of myself at school. But alas, it didn't quite work out. Turns out that with all my reading, I knew exactly what would happen and when, and just the thought of it made me tear up and it was all down hill from there. However, the crowning achievement of dorkhood was obtained when I cried again during the movie after I unsuccessfully tried to convince my teacher that I shouldn't watch it. I even remember pretending to be sick that morning, but I think my mom was pretty smart and realized I just didn't want to go to school. I probably should have pretended to be sick at school so that I could go down to the office and lay peacefully on the little cot and wait for my mom to pick me up, but I didn't think of that in time.

Needless to say, all you have to do is say the words, "where the red fern grows," and I'll tear up. All those dog dying stories... I'm just not a fan. People keep telling that I need to watch "My Dog Skip" because he's a Jack Russel and behaves like Sam, but I know Skip dies at the end, and I'm just not ever sure I'm up for it. People keep telling me that it's different in "My Dog Skip" because Skip had lived a long time and had a great life and dies a happy dog. And I see their point, I really do. But it's still brutal to watch. So, I think I'll try to watch "Marley and Me," and we'll go from there. Brian's not too excited about watching it with me and he's probably hoping we can watch it alone so he won't have to explain that I have a hard time with dog dying movies to anyone else. I'll let you know how it goes. It'll be a while before we can watch it, but I'll keep you posted.
posted by Julie at 10:40 PM

6 Comments:

I completely know how you feel, I cannot watch Homeward Bound, The Fox and the Hound, Where the Red Fern Grows, Benji, Lion King, Old Yeller, amongst others without crying like a huge dork, so I try and avoid potentially sad animal movies. Let me know if Marley and Me is safe cause I was going to read it.

9/11/08 18:02  

I have managed to repress the memory of Homeward Bound (which also made me look like a dork in school). Thanks for reminding me. LOL!!!!

9/11/08 20:54  

I cant even think about that movie and Nick takes every opportunity to make fun of my inability to not cry. My family likes to remind me that no one dies but I just cant help it lol.

10/11/08 18:18  

I'm not great with dying movies/books either, but let me tell you, reading them out loud in class can undo you when you're the teacher!

For really good reasons we read Freak the Mighty (the movie is just called The Mighty) to our class every year, and believe it or not the kid dies at the end every time. My partner and I get a little competitive about who's going to get stuck with the death scene. I usually win.

13/11/08 13:52  

I still get teary when I hear James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" because I heard that song on the radio after school the day my mom had to put Schnitzle (our Schnauzer) to sleep. Same thing when I think about my dog Chowa. Crabby Abby, not so much

21/11/08 21:08  

I cry every time I watch Old Yeller...totally know how you feel.

24/11/08 13:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home