Officially Technological

Friday, July 15, 2005

Why I Boycott Certain Movies

After watching (for the first time) the Matrix and Matrix Reloaded this week, I remembered why I refused to watch it in the first place. Why, you ask? Because certain movies promote themselves as a lifestyle and people spend way too much time discussing why/why not they are applicable to our world. This especially annoys me when it's a Sci-Fi movie and people try to find allegories to their own existence in a story about aliens, gigantic bugs, killer machines, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm as much of a Sci-Fi freak as the next guy, but this annoys me. Why? I'm pretty sure it's because... of course the author took his/her real life experiences and inserted aliens, gigantic bugs, killer machines etc. If he/she hadn't, he/she wouldn't have had anything to write about! That's why I think it's humorous when people base their lives around films. Every time I eavesdrop on someone's conversation and hear the words "Neo" and "Jesus" in the same sentence I shake my head (first of all... Jesus didn't have to be convinced by a fortune teller that he was "the one" he already knew...).

That being said, here is what I thought was sweet about the Matrix. Well, pretty much it was an incredible film. It had a good story and was pretty clever.

Things that annoyed me about the Matrix: That there's a third one (I mean seriously, is that a money-making scheme or what), and that the volume was weird and sometimes I had to turn it all the way up and sometimes way, way down (which was probably more Blockbuster's fault than the film's).

Other movies/films I have have one-man (in my case one-woman) boycotts about:

I can't think of any others, I'm sure there's more. Amazingly, I have sat through and even somewhat enjoyed some really stupid movies (the Pacifier for example), but the above rules are where I draw the line. :)

posted by Julie at 9:00 AM

11 Comments:

Movies I boycott:

1. Anything with John Travolta
2. The Incredibles
3. Anything with Brittney Spears or some other pop queen/diva trying to do the whole "I can sing, I can dance, I can make movies!" thing. (When saying this phrase, make sure to tilt head from left to right, raise eyebrows and annunciate every syllable.)
4. Anything with a bad cover. This may be my design side speaking, but if you can't make the cover look good, don't spend millions making the movie.

15/7/05 10:01  

I like Jessica Simpson. She's hott. (That's my Paris Hilton/Julie impression, like?)

Here, I want to play too.

1. Anything with a "message" that's all high handed and shoved down your throat. My biggest example of this was the time Ben and I went to see a production of the Grapes of Wrath (good) at Western, were the cast walked across the stage at different points in the play while the characters froze their action (bad). As they walked, they listed things that we'd own in ghostly robotic "meaningful" voices. Like, "342 cd's, 15 pairs of jeans, 3 backpacks, 17 sweaters." We were like fine, if you're going to be like that, we don't give a crap about the characters' suffering because you all are righteous jerks. Another example: the film, "They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" that I just got from the library. It was actually a really good film, but it was just so didactic. You just know that there's a ton of people out there watching it and talking about how the "system" "breaks" people.

(In a less ranty mode.)

2. Things with Tom Cruise. He's annoying. That's all there is to it. Or Tea Leoni. Or Julia Roberts. Or Ashton Kutcher.

3. Most things Ben picks out. Ex. Last night we watched Return to Horror High with a young George Clooney (who died in the first ten minutes) and Marsha from the Brady Bunch.

Okay, I'll admit that I don't actually boycott these, and most of the time I watch them, but that's just because I'll watch just about any movie. It doesn't mean I like them.

15/7/05 10:48  

Beth - My mantra is now "Ban Mad Max!" lol. I actually told one of the guys that I work with that I had watched Mad Max (if you could call it "watching") and he said (and I quote), "WHAT'S WRONG WITH MAD MAX??" And I replied, "Uh, everything?" lol.

Brooke - #3 is a big one. I too Strongly dislike the "I can do everything" (with head tilting from left to right, raising eyebrows and annunciating every syllable) people. I pretty much want to say, "Nope, you pretty much stink, and so does your so-called singing." J-Lo also fits into this crowd. Her clothing line needs to disappear. :)

15/7/05 12:40  

Think All pop stars/divas including J.Lo's clothing line and Switchfoot:

...like Elvis and his mom, like Al Paccino's cash....

(or however that song goes)

15/7/05 12:50  

Speaking of Elvis, have you ever seen any of his movies?.... uh, yeah, they're a nightmere.

15/7/05 12:53  

I like bruce willis movies. That's how I'm going to end up. drunk, balding, and slightly overweight. And I'll probably shoot people too.

15/7/05 13:09  

"Unbreakable" was one of the worst movies I've ever scene. It's in its own category of horribleness. It's like slooooooooooow is too fast a word for it.

15/7/05 13:35  

I won't hear a word against ANY m. night shylamalan-ding-dong movies.

I especially enjoyed Elvis vs. the Carnie Folk.

15/7/05 13:47  

Beth - LOL!

15/7/05 14:17  

Yes, Josh, I was talking to you. :) They may be cleverly written and interestingly developed, but they are still STORIES.

15/7/05 16:22  

All good stories have good and evil.

18/7/05 08:12  

Post a Comment

<< Home