Tuesday, April 24, 2007
The Goal - The Excuse
I was talking to Beth yesterday on the phone, and we decided that I need to post pictures of our house since we have redone every room (except the three-seasons room in the back and the hallway upstairs). It has been a big project to redo this house and it seems like the majority of my conversations (the ones when I'm not talking about my health) revolve around our "projects". So, since it has been such a huge part of my life for the last year, we thought we should post pictures. The only problem with posting pictures of your house, is that if you're showing off how much you've done on your house, it should be tidy and look how you'd like it to look if you had people over.
Last weekend we had people over for a cook-out, and then were busy Sunday night and last night. And we are going to Michigan on Friday night. So, Thursday night will be panicky laundry/packing and tomorrow night is church so we'll probably have tonight to make the house look tidy enough to take pictures of it (which may or may not be enough time).
But, since tonight is wide open and it may rain (hence preventing our normal bike ride), I'll probably do it tonight (or next week). Don't hold your breath, but it is coming. Hopefully sooner than later.
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Misc. News Items
- Last night, after not eating fries hardly ever, I ate one large A&W fry and part of Brian's. Let's just say I felt ugh.
- Arizona details: We're taking a long weekend in Phoenix, AZ in a couple of weeks to go to Beth and Ben's marriage blessing ceremony (there's a real name for it, I just can't recall what it's called - basically they're having their marriage blessed by the Catholic church). We're super excited (I'm excited because I'm dying see Beth and to get away from the pathetic spring we're experiencing, and Brian's excited because he's never been to Arizona). Anyway, we're both really excited. It seems like we've known that we were going for a really long time and then we got our tickets and now it seems real.
- My Sudoku calendar is getting easier which leaves me to ponder if I'm getting smarter or if I've just hit an easy run.
- Brian and I have started "training" to go on a long bike ride. We plan on biking from Fort Wayne to Lake James (which is 50 miles one way). We think that we can ride up one day, get a hotel, and ride back the next day. Truthfully, it will probably take more training to get to a point where the seat of the bike doesn't leave me crippled than getting my body into shape enough to handle the 50 miles. Maybe I should screw a folding chair to seat. I could sit in folding chair for 5 hours easy.
- Thursday night and Saturday are designated as cleaning times. At the very least I do laundry make sure the dishwasher is empty for more than three minutes, Windex the bathrooms, but last week I missed because we spring-cleaned Sam's room (which was crazy since we use it as an attic and since Sam insists on getting food all over - I mean what does he do? Dig in it??). So, now we are running out of clean clothes and the bathroom looks like all the hair I've lost in the last month is having a reunion. So something has to be done. Fortunately, it's Thursday night. Unfortunately, I have two weeks worth to clean up in one night and Brian has a training tomorrow so when he would normally be able to do some things, he's going to be working. Oh well. Saturday's coming up too.
- Tomorrow night Brooke and Vince and Brian and I are going to see a high-school play. Actually, Michelle is directing it and it's her first ever. So, that's pretty fun.
Tuesday, April 17, 2007
But I'm not excited.
Thursday, April 05, 2007
Reasons Why I Hate Spring
We've have a light dusting (and getting less light all the time) of snow that made it through the "warmest" part of the day unscathed and it's supposed to snow every day until Sunday. Gr. Tuesday was beautiful and warm - it was at least 70ish degrees. So, Brian and I went to the mall and got me a cool new spring coat (my first spring coat since... well, I don't even know how long since), some work-approved capris for the summer, and now I can't wear any of it.
Which brings to mind - springtime in Michigan is a little more violent than springtime in Indiana. I think it's either winter coat weather or no-coat weather, because for the last several years I haven't owned a spring coat and haven't been any worse for it. But now that I move to Indiana I want a spring coat, because it's more often 50-something and you need a little something without getting out the Michelin Man snow suit.
When Brian and I went spring coat shopping the other day, we had a hard time finding spring coats, because they were pretty picked over. In Michigan, stores are still trying to get rid of spring coats when they bring out the winter coats. Michigan people know better than to get a spring coat. They wear their winter coats until May when they decide they have had enough winter and will suffer through any imaginable "unseasonable" chill with a sweatshirt to prove the point that they're tired of winter and are ready for spring. So, thinking about this, I thought, "how frugal." They have probably spared themselves hundreds of dollars not buying spring outerwear.
So, the other night I was in the market for spring jacket. And I found the perfect one. It's gray and it's tailored and double breasted and has a belt, and had I a homburg and a quizzical gaze, I'd would make a very reliable private eye. I look forward to wearing it next week (I might even wear a homburg and a little suspicion). I may even sleep in it.
But, in true Michigan form, I'll be wearing my winter wear through Easter, and will most likely be stepping cautiously through snow with bright white summer sandals on and hoping to not get any snow on my toes on Easter morning. But next week it's supposed to warm up again. Thank goodness.
In the meantime, may the blessings of this holy weekend far out weigh any snow that you may get on your sandaled feet.